Make this homemade pumpkin pie spice in less than five minutes using five spices you probably already have on hand. It will be handy for your fall baking.
If you love all things pumpkin, then homemade pumpkin pie spice is a spice you will most likely use several times during the fall months, but not so much the rest of the year.
What is homemade pumpkin pie spice?
It is an American spice mix used in pumpkin pie. It is a blend of five different spices mixed, making this a signature spice of sorts. Cookbooks dating back in the 1890s have references of pumpkin pie spice. Due to its popularity, it is now available ready-mixed by several companies, one of which you’ll find here.
What is in pumpkin pie spice?
Pumpkin pie spice consists of five different ingredients, and they are:
- Cinnamon – a warm spice used for flavoring sweet and savory dishes. It’s also known for its aromatic properties and used in candles, potpourri, and many other things.
- Nutmeg – a warm, slightly sweet spice used in many baked goods, potatoes, meats, vegetables, and even beverages like eggnog.
- Ginger – widely used as a spice and for medicinal purposes
- Allspice – used in many different dishes, but in the United States, it’s used mostly in desserts
- Cloves – another warm and strong aromatic spice used in sweet and savory dishes and beverages
When combined, these spices create a warm and delicious spice that is also pleasantly aromatic. Therefore, it is used as flavorings and even as a fragrant – like candles.
How to make homemade pumpkin pie spice
Are you ready for this?
Simply add the five spices to a bowl and mix. A whisk works great at blending all the spices into a delicious warm aromatic spice mix perfect for anything that calls for pumpkin pie spice. Transfer to an airtight container and store in a dark, cool place away from sunlight.
Use this spice whenever your recipe calls for pumpkin pie spice. It’s even delicious in recipes that only call for cinnamon and nutmeg. And it smells as good as it tastes, too.
As you’ve seen, homemade pumpkin pie spice is easy to make. It will be the perfect ingredient companion to many of your fall baking recipes. Above all, your home will smell amazing as the aroma from this mix wafts throughout as it’s baking. It will give you that home sweet home feeling!
What is pumpkin pie spice used for
This homemade version is ideal for:
- Baked items – cookies, pies, cakes, breads – for starters
- Custards and puddings
- Beverages – lattes, and eggnog
- Gifts – a little jar of homemade pumpkin pie spice makes a lovely gift for a fall birthday or a just-because gift for a teacher
Are you a pumpkin everything kind of person? I have friends on both sides of the fence. Some hate it! Most love it! Tell me which side of the fence you’re on.
My favorite recipes using homemade pumpkin pie spice
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- Combine all the ingredients together and mix well. Store in an air tight container.
Disclaimer: Nutritional values (per serving) are approximates only and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SERVING UP SOUTHERN. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any blog post or social media is strictly prohibited.