Chicken Noodle Soup | See how I make this delicious heartwarming homemade soup in this post.
With Fall just around the corner, I can’t help but start thinking about our favorite soups and stews for the winter months ahead. My thoughts took me back to our favorite classic Chicken Noodle Soup recipe. I have been making this recipe for years. It has all the basics without the, in my opinion, unnecessary extras.
Noodles are relatively important in a soup with the word noodle in its title, so let’s talk noodles. My very favorite to use are the wide Kluski noodles, but that’s not what you see in my pictures here – NOPE. Yeah, sometimes you just have to go with what you have. Since I had all the other ingredients on hand, I decided to humble myself and use the lonely bag of wide egg noodles sitting on the pantry shelf instead. They saved me a trip into town and a whole lotta time. Although there were no complaints, I will still be restocking my noodle of choice on the next grocery outing. The next two essential ingredients in this recipe are the soy sauce and lemon juice – don’t skip them. You’ll know what I mean when you taste it. One of my favorite perks about this recipe is not having to deal with a chicken carcass. That alone speeds up the preparation of this less-than-an-hour-to-make-one-pot-meal.
This recipe makes a LOT of soup. So, now that we’re empty nesters, from now on when I make this, I’ll call the married young’uns to either come ready to eat or with a big carry-out container in hand. Either way – I’ll make their day!
Chicken Noodle Soup
This delicious, hearty dish is comfort food to many. I get pure joy out of making it for that “special” family member who is feeling under the weather. All the warm-your-heart-goodness in this Chicken Noodle Soup seems to perk one up in our family anyway. Whether or not it’s good for what ails ya – it soul-soothing, to say the least.
- 8-10 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- I head of celery
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, or more, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large boxes chicken stock
- 6-8 frozen boneless chicken breasts (I sometimes use boneless thighs too!)
- 1 bag of Kluski noodles
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Soy sauce (I use low sodium.)
- In a large soup pot, add olive oil, carrots, celery, onion, and garlic. Saute until onion is transparent. Add chicken stock, chicken breasts, and salt, and bring to a boil. When chicken is thoroughly cooked, turn burner down and remove chicken pieces and shred. Add lemon juice, and a big splash of soy sauce to pot. Bring the broth back to a boil, and add noodles. When noodles are cooked, turn burner off, and add the shredded chicken; stir to distribute.
- If more broth is needed just add water until desired amount of broth is reached. Taste to see if the salt or soy sauce needs adjusting after adding water.