These yummy Snack Mix Squares are a great alternative to regular snack mix served from a bowl. These super easy-to-make bars are made up of the same ingredients as snack mix, only pressed into chewy bars.
Last year was the sibling reunion on my husband’s side of the family. There are 9 siblings and they’re spread out across 4 states. If we don’t make it a point to set a special time aside for a reunion, we just don’t see much of each other. The sibling reunions alternate every other year with the family reunion. Last year at the sibling reunion several variations of snack mix showed up and were devoured. I’m just betting that these Snack Mix Squares would have gone just as fast.
I love how bright and cheery these Snack Mix Squares look with all the different colored M&M candies. The textures are great too. You have a little something chewy along with the just right amount of crunch. If you love the combination of sweet and salty – this is for you.
I made mine using pretzel sticks, Corn Chex, Spanish peanuts, and M&M’s. These also have mini marshmallows in them, but instead of being mixed in whole they are melted to help bind the other ingredients. You can also add Reece’s pieces in place of some of the M&M’s or just replace them altogether.
I’m going to let y’all in on a little secret – when serving these present them bottom-side up. I cut the entire pan of bars in half (side-to-side) and then loosen the edges. Carefully using a spatula, remove one side at a time. Place each half bottom-side-up on a cutting board or on parchment paper and cut into squares. There ya go! Do this and your bars will be beautiful.
You can easily change the colors of the candies and use the seasonal M&M’s in lieu of the regular. With spring here and Easter right around the corner, the pastel M&M’s would look great. M&M’s have it going on when it comes to special occasions. They have the pastels, the red, white and blue for 4th of July, the burgundy, orange and gold for fall, and the traditional red and green for Christmas. I can assure you that any combination will do for these yummy Snack Mix Squares.
- 2 1/2 cups pretzel sticks, halved
- 2 cups Corn Chex cereal
- 1 1/2 cups M&M's
- 1 cup peanuts (I used Spanish peanuts.)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 bag,10.5 oz miniature marshmallows
- In a large bowl, combine the pretzels, cereal, M&M's and peanuts. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt butter, peanut butter and light corn syrup over low heat.
- Add marshmallows and stir until marshmallows are melted and mixture is smooth.
- Working quickly, pour over pretzel mixture; stirring well to coat.
- Press into a greased 13 x 9 baking pan. Cool until firm and cut into bars.