These delicious cream cheese bars with chocolate chips have a delightfully crispy crust with a deliciously gooey, chocolatey cream cheese center.
These bars are unique in that the crust and crumb topping are both made from a yellow boxed cake mix. The cream cheese and chocolate seal the deal when they come together as a delicious creamy filling that’s near perfection. You should most definitely bake these and give them a try!
These cream cheese bars are perfect for taking along on picnics and potlucks. Wherever you serve them, they quickly reach their popularity and just as quickly disappear.
What’s in these bars?
- Yellow cake mix
- Cream cheese
- Chocolate Chips
Do cream cheese bars need to be refrigerated?
Yes, they do! Cream cheese is perishable and needs to be refrigerated when used in fillings and frostings. So please refrigerate your bars.
Want another one?
How should I store cream cheese bars?
Once the bars have cooled, you can cut them and store them in:
- Store in the pan wrapped tightly in saran wrap
- Remove individual squares and store in a glass or plastic container with a tight-fitting lid
- Keep in refrigerator for up to one week
- These also freeze well
Helpful tips when making these bars
- Use mini chocolate chips (they seem to melt a little better during the baking process.
- Make sure cream cheese is softened. If you need to speed up this process, you can submerge the entire foil package in hot tap water for five minutes.
- Bring eggs to room temperature
- Bars will cut easier and more cleanly if they are cut them after they have cooled.
You know I love it when you leave comments, so please share your thoughts about these yummy bars.
- 1 18 oz. box yellow cake mix
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I use mini chocolate chips.)
- 1/3 cup sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix the cake mix, beaten egg, and vegetable oil until crumbly. Reserve one cup for topping.
- Pat remaining crumbs into a greased 8×8, or 9×9 inch pan and bake for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Beat the cream cheese, egg, and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and spread over the baked crust.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumbs and bake 15 minutes longer.
JOIN THE LIST!
Subscribe to get our latest content delivered to your email.