Country pot roast – classic comfort food – is a favorite anytime of the year. While I know some people wouldn’t dream of fixing a beef pot roast recipe outside of the cold winter months, I personally love eating this year round. Yes folks, that even means in the summer.
This chuck roast recipe is chock-full of potatoes, carrots, onions with a flavor that can’t be beat.
This is one of those one dish meals that is convenient to make, which is why I’m so willing to fix this…even during the warmer months.
This is a little different in that it is cooked on the stove-top as opposed to in the oven. Don’t let that turn you off though – it still gets fork-tender.
To prepare the meat you will need a 3-4 lean chuck roast, 2 teaspoons of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, 1 tablespoon paprika, 2 tablespoons of oil, 1/2 cup of water, and a bay leaf. Trim the fat from the meat. Mix the salt, pepper, and paprika together and rub all over the meat.
Brown both sides of the meat in the oil. Then in the same pan add the water and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
Next you’ll need 8-10 small white onions (I used 4-5 large onions, quartered.), 8-10 small carrots, peeled. (I used the peeled baby carrots. I just threw some in there.), 4-6 potatoes, peeled & quartered, and 2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce. Add to the roast, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until tender.
When done remove the roast to a platter. Add 1 cup of sour cream and 2 tablespoons chopped parsley to the vegetables.
Serve the roast topped with the hot vegetables and sauce.
You could put the sauce in a gravy boat and serve it separately, but we like to just drown ours in it from the get-go. Enjoy!
- 1 3-4 pound lean chuck roast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 8-10 small white onions, peeled
- 8-10 small carrots, peeled
- 4-6 potatoes, peeled & quartered
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- Trim fat from the meat. Mix together the salt, pepper, and paprika and rub on roast. Brown in the hot oil in a dutch oven. In the same pot add the water and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 1½ hours.
- Then add the onions, carrots, potatoes, and tomato sauce. Cover and simmer for 1 additional hour, or until tender.
- Remove the roast to a serving platter. Add the parsley and sour cream to the vegetables to make a sauce. Serve the roast topped with hot vegetables and sauce.