At first glance of this recipe one might be questioning why anyone would even consider putting pumpkin in chili? I promise you you won’t be doing yourself any favors by not giving this delicious – perfect for fall – chili a chance. The pumpkin serves as a smooth binder adding depth and creaminess to the chili. I’ve tested this recipe a couple of times, altering the ingredients slightly with each testing, and this version of Black Bean Pumpkin Chili won the most Oohhs and Aahhs from my family. Hey, you can never have too many of those. In my first attempt, I used chicken broth which overpowered the pumpkin flavor. I also cooked it in a crock pot, as the recipe called for, and it was cooked to mush. Where did the onion and yellow pepper go? It was good, but not good! I wanted a subtle pumpkin-y flavor, but not so subtle that you couldn’t taste it. On my second attempt, I traded in the chicken broth for vegetable stock, tweaked the spices here and there, and I cooked it on the stovetop. What a difference!
The hearty blend of warm pumpkin, black beans, fresh onions and peppers is a winning combination for this delicious Black Bean Pumpkin Chili recipe. Bake up a big pan of cornbread and you have yourself a great meal for a cool crisp night.
One Year Ago: Homemade Applesauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans (15-ounce each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 can (15-ounce) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounce) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 - 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a soup pot, heat oil over medium - high heat. Add the ground turkey and onion; cook until tender. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Stir in remaining ingredients. Simmer on medium - low heat for 30 - 45 minutes, or until yellow pepper is tender. If desired serve topped with sour cream.